Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Oh Tom Petty. You are RIGHT. Waiting is hard.

I recently finished a great book called "Cold Tangerines". It is a collection of short stories from the author's life, and she discusses finding the blessings in everyday life. It was incredibly well-written, and uplifting. And comforting. I tried to start her other book last night, but it is more depressing, and I just wasn't feeling it.

Anyway.

She has a chapter on waiting. How we are ALWAYS waiting for something. As babies, we wait to be in elementary school, from there, middle school, then high school. Then see who we become in college, and then who we are after college, then who we are when we are married, then parents, then grandparents, etc.

I am in the after college part. Trying not to feel like I am waiting, but living. The hardest part of this stage is making friends. It is so hard to work up the courage to do it. We cling to who we know in the area, and try and grow from there. And we also forget that those friends are there at all. I sit around feeling lonely, then smack myself in the face and tell myself to reconnect with those people that meant so much to me as College-Katie. That's where I am at now.

Thankfully, I am with a great guy who has helped introduce me to other people, and it is wonderful and helpful, and I have met some amazing people, but alas...they are not MY people. They could gradually become "my" people, but we all know there is a certain amount of pride that comes with this place in life. The pride of creating a life for yourself, including friendships.

So here's to NOT waiting. To living, and to doing, and to creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment