Saturday, June 18, 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing

Ok. Let me preface this with a paragraph praising the amazingness of my family, because really, I am so lucky to have such a fun, close family. I have two parents that love each other very much. Seriously...I can't count how many times my dad will pull us aside and ask, "Isn't your Mama beautiful?". And they are both dedicated to service. My dad is soon to be a General in the Army, and my mom has worked for non-profits my entire life. We were raised to live a life of service. I cannot imagine a profession where I wouldn't be serving. Chris is in non-profit as well, I'm a teacher, Colleen wants to go help orphans in any country she an, and Kelly is going to study to be a teacher as well. Its contagious. We're all do-gooders. When my entire family is together, it tends to be outrageous and hilarious. There's usually some form of alcohol flowing, and the laughter is OUT of control. This includes extended family as well (also relentless do-gooders). There's so much love in my family. And now that Kaitlyn is here...oh my gosh...you couldn't smack the smiles off of our faces.

Basically what I'm getting at, is that I look forward to my entire family being together. When I was in college, I loved coming home to visit everyone. I didn't come home unless there were breaks, and usually stayed in Harrisonburg for most or all of the summers, because I loved missing them, and then visiting them.

So, now that I have expressed my undying love for my family...




They are driving. Me. Crazy.



I have been at home this year. For one thing, Student Teaching doesn't pay, and I knew if I wanted to work in Fairfax County, I needed to be here as soon as possible. And I was right. Got the Long-Term job, and now, a solid job at a beautiful school for next year. And Long-Terms pay well, but not "live off this forever" well. So saving has been the big thing for the year.

Its been nice...but its time to go. I'll be 24 in January. At this age, you're not supposed to be home. You're supposed to be MISSING your family. Holidays should be exciting because you're going to be surrounded by the people you've missed so much. I remember feeling less Holiday-ish this year, because I was home already. I missed the "going home for the Holidays" feeling.

But it is getting to me. And I am taking it out on my family. I'm so aware of this too. My mom was sitting next to me, and had her arm on me. It was annoying me so much. All I could feel was her arm. On me. And I wanted. It. Off.

I love my family, but I need to miss them again. As we are drawing closer, and closer to the time to move, I am getting SO excited. Yes, a house will be great, I'll be with friends, I'll be social, yes, yes, yes...but more importantly. I'm going to MISS MY FAMILY! I'll be nicer again. I cannot wait. I cannot wait....




I love my family.


1 comment: